DevBlog5 - The Most Innovative Video Games of the Last 10 Years

Arik Helman
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

DevBlog5 - The Most Innovative Video Games of the Last 10 Years

Postby Arik Helman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Hey,

Feel free to discuss the weekly blog - Best Steam Greenlight Games - In this discussion

Thanks

NitoMurray
Level 3 Community Backer Badge

Re: DevBlog5 - The Most Innovative Video Games of the Last 10 Years

Postby NitoMurray » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Dark Age of Camelot (MMO), Crusader Kings and Rome (1) Total War I feel should be on here.

But these definitely were some impressive games and the soul series has never ceased to amaze. I still fondly remember each title and the bosses that even my girlfriend knew by name due to how often I'd scream at them. Especially you mirror knight, fuck you and that pyro/hex player that always gets summoned by you.

66Austin1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby 66Austin1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I have to say This game has to be one of the more innovative ones I saw. That and northern shadows except it was a solo project and ended up getting cancelled. That and Kenshi Oh my god you don't understand how much I enjoy kenshi. Just went to beta version I believe. It's a great game if you like squad based games and there's many replayability. you can make your own town, merc. group, or just be a bandit :D

Brando602
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

Postby Brando602 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 am

Next blog coming soon! :D

Valerian
Level 5 Community Backer Badge
Level 5 Community Backer Badge

Postby Valerian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

[quote="Brando602"]Next blog coming soon! :D[/quote]

Won't you give me an hint?^^

Brando602
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

Postby Brando602 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:39 am

Valerian wrote:
Brando602 wrote:Next blog coming soon! :D

Won't you give me an hint?^^

I'd check for it :D

NitoMurray

Postby NitoMurray » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:29 am

It's longer than 10 years i believe (2004, god we're getting old) but I'd like to mention Warlords Battlecry III. Imagine warcraft, mixed with the mine resource system of Cossacks. A long with that, a persistent hero system where you create a hero/leader, levelling them up and becoming more powerful as time progresses. With several races, some with really unique mechanics; dozens of spell schools and hundreds of unique spells. It was a great game! Playing a dwarf tinker or rune lord and making defences and pushing further afield. Playing an Undead Necromancer, hunting enemy armies to grow your ranks through summoning skeletons (which by playing undead, let you use resources to upgrade to higher tiers right up to the top as their mechanic. You couldn't just build a doom knight, you had to build a skeleton and upgrade to Wight, Slayer Knight and then Doom knight), raise the dead from bones left by corpses after rotting and stripe flesh to turn enemy units into skeletons. Playing a mage and decimating forces through magic abilities. Playing a paladin or priest and healing units and raising both ally and enemy dead to join you resurrected. You could even just focus on economy building and creating armies to win, normal warcraft style.

It didn't care about balancing the heroes, "if we're all gods then it's balanced" was the typical impression. With heroes eventually decimating armies themselves and fighting off the demi-god titan units. Rather than feeling cheated by it, you enjoyed it. It began as heroes with armies fighting, to gods and their legions fighting. I remember having a few LAN matches with friends as a kid, agreeing to have "rounds" fighting in the centre for map dominance as it was more entertaining than normal Warcraft play. (me and red kill blue, while we kill blue, green appears and kills my friend. me and green then flop our half dead armies against each other till one wins).

It had RTS and a persistent hero RPG system. It was innovative of it's time and damn good fun!

Brando602
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

Postby Brando602 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 pm

NitoMurray wrote:It's longer than 10 years i believe (2004, god we're getting old) but I'd like to mention Warlords Battlecry III. Imagine warcraft, mixed with the mine resource system of Cossacks. A long with that, a persistent hero system where you create a hero/leader, levelling them up and becoming more powerful as time progresses. With several races, some with really unique mechanics; dozens of spell schools and hundreds of unique spells. It was a great game! Playing a dwarf tinker or rune lord and making defences and pushing further afield. Playing an Undead Necromancer, hunting enemy armies to grow your ranks through summoning skeletons (which by playing undead, let you use resources to upgrade to higher tiers right up to the top as their mechanic. You couldn't just build a doom knight, you had to build a skeleton and upgrade to Wight, Slayer Knight and then Doom knight), raise the dead from bones left by corpses after rotting and stripe flesh to turn enemy units into skeletons. Playing a mage and decimating forces through magic abilities. Playing a paladin or priest and healing units and raising both ally and enemy dead to join you resurrected. You could even just focus on economy building and creating armies to win, normal warcraft style.

It didn't care about balancing the heroes, "if we're all gods then it's balanced" was the typical impression. With heroes eventually decimating armies themselves and fighting off the demi-god titan units. Rather than feeling cheated by it, you enjoyed it. It began as heroes with armies fighting, to gods and their legions fighting. I remember having a few LAN matches with friends as a kid, agreeing to have "rounds" fighting in the centre for map dominance as it was more entertaining than normal Warcraft play. (me and red kill blue, while we kill blue, green appears and kills my friend. me and green then flop our half dead armies against each other till one wins).

It had RTS and a persistent hero RPG system. It was innovative of it's time and damn good fun!

Definitely a solid choice with an extended timeline!

Return to “General Discussions”