DevBlog2 - The best hybrid video games

Arik Helman
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

DevBlog2 - The best hybrid video games

Postby Arik Helman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Hey,

Feel free to discuss the weekly blog - The best hybrid video games - In this discussion

Thanks

NitoMurray
Community Royal Guard Lvl 4

Re: DevBlog2 - The best hybrid video games

Postby NitoMurray » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:44 pm

I think the comparisons made were intentionally from obscure games of only slightly similar aspects, rather than games that were more widely in the spotlight and used the "hero" mode as a larger aspect of gameplay such as Rise and Fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFA4UL4xCU

Coredog
Level 4 Community Backer Badge

Postby Coredog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:28 pm

[quote="NitoMurray"]I think the comparisons made were intentionally from obscure games of only slightly similar aspects, rather than games that were more widely in the spotlight and used the "hero" mode as a larger aspect of gameplay such as Rise and Fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFA4UL4xCU[/quote]

I don't agree with you that they are obscure, as i was aware of both Savage 2 and natural selection 2 but I would agree they do not renown to attract people. I would say the same is true for rise and fall as i never heard of it until you mentioned it. That being said I do see some gameplay elements from rise and fall that would fit in LOE.

I think they need games like mount & blade, total war, civ, age of empires, and maybe even medieval engineers. If they take or show off some of the gameplay elements from these then people would be more incline to check out LOE.

Brando602
Larkon Studio
Larkon Studio

Postby Brando602 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 am

Anything in particular you'd like to see implemented?

NitoMurray

Postby NitoMurray » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 pm

[quote="Brando602"]Anything in particular you'd like to see implemented?[/quote]

Naval combat, more varied human designs and factions. I'd love an eastern/ east-asian design for a kingdom.

Valerian
Community Royal Guard Lvl 6

Postby Valerian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:57 pm

[quote="Brando602"]Anything in particular you'd like to see implemented?[/quote]

I'm most excited to see more RTS and kingdom management elements finding their way into the game.
Eg.: More buildings, interaction with your citizens, king actions (like collecting taxes, pass laws etc.), military improvements, faction vs. faction wars, diplomacy, research

Coredog

Postby Coredog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:47 am

I would agree with Valerian, that i would like to see more of the kingdom management elements especially in regards to interaction with the citizens and how different actions affect how they perceive you.

In my mind if you have the core elements like how the character interacts with the environment, the rest can come after.

I don't think you need to have many buildings, quests, factions, military units, research when you release for early access on steam. If it were me developing this game, i would give players the ability to add mods to the game so they develop these items for you. If it fits into your strategy then you can officially add it to the game as an update.

For right now focus on the character controls and movement(i would like to see it a smoother like conan/rust/skyrim), character dialog with options when talking with npcs (Starting off can be as simple as "current event", "goodbye", us players could even help write dialog), combat with groups like a mix of mount & blade and total war(maybe ability to lead yourself/send commands or have second in command AI take control of troops), skills (maybe some type of learning system).

I gotta make myself a list and expand on details but these are the things that come to mind.

Valerian

Postby Valerian » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

[quote="Coredog"][quote="Brando602"]Anything in particular you'd like to see implemented?[/quote]

I would agree with Valerian, that i would like to see more of the kingdom management elements especially in regards to interaction with the citizens and how different actions affect how they perceive you.

In my mind if you have the core elements like how the character interacts with the environment, the rest can come after.

I don't think you need to have many buildings, quests, factions, military units, research when you release for early access on steam. If it were me developing this game, i would give players the ability to add mods to the game so they develop these items for you. If it fits into your strategy then you can officially add it to the game as an update.

For right now focus on the character controls and movement(i would like to see it a smoother like conan/rust/skyrim), character dialog with options when talking with npcs (Starting off can be as simple as "current event", "goodbye", us players could even help write dialog), combat with groups like a mix of mount & blade and total war(maybe ability to lead yourself/send commands or have second in command AI take control of troops), skills (maybe some type of learning system).

I gotta make myself a list and expand on details but these are the things that come to mind.[/quote]

Although I strongly support an active comunity and appreciate mod support, it simply can't be the case that the community does the work for the developers. In my opinion, it is inacceptable to outsource the implementation of core elements of the game into the communitys hands.

Coredog

Postby Coredog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 pm

[quote="Valerian"]

Although I strongly support an active comunity and appreciate mod support, it simply can't be the case that the community does the work for the developers. In my opinion, it is inacceptable to outsource the implementation of core elements of the game into the communitys hands.[/quote]

For a game like this to be successful with a small team you need to have development with your community. Because the modders will be able to provide more quests, dialog, monsters, buildings, etc. Just look at skyrim, to have more quests, magic, weapons you download some of number of mods and it just enhances the game further. While the community is developing new content the developers are also developing new content. At the end of the day they can pick from items that the community has developed and integrate it into the game if they feel that it fits. Not to use your community base for this would be silly as that is a huge addition to your development.

The core elements would be in place by the developers but the community would add onto it with filling out details. Just like we are doing by making suggestions on quests, laws, buildings etc. But when it launches on steam there will be the opportunity to use workshop created items and to incorporate that into the game. The developers will still have a ton a work to do but this would just help them focus on actual core elements and less on adding new content(buildings, quests, weapons). And once the core game play elements are mostly implemented they can then switch focus to new content.

Return to “General Discussions”